Design by
Copyright © 2012-2016 My Other Kitchen Pty Ltd
FAQ & Resources


The facility is just under 190 square meters and can be used either exclusively or on a shared basis. There is a separate dining/meeting room that can seat up to 12 people. We can also configure the room to seat more people in theatre style, and the room can be booked independently of the kitchen area. Our facility includes:
Grill plate
20 litre planetary mixer
650 litre upright freezer
Commercial dishwasher
Food preparation sinks
Four stainless steel benches with lockable castors
Overhead circuit bar for photography / lighting
Wire rack storage (subject to availability)
1.8m x 2.4m coolroom
Electric combination convection/steamer oven
Two gas ovens, each with 6-burner gas cooktop
Waterless wok burner
See photos of our layout here. We encourage you to think through in detail your equipment and utensils requirements to avoid problems on the day. Should you forget small items we are located very close to supermarkets and specialty shops in Centre Road, Bentleigh. When using the dining room, audiovisual equipment, extra seating and internet access can be organised via prior arrangement.

We are onsite

We are here to help when you use our kitchen, and we are genuinely interested in what you do.

In setting up our own business, we learned some valuable lessons along the way. So if you choose, talk to us about your ideas and aspirations. We get a lot of satisfaction from sharing our ideas, experience and industry contacts. To our delight we have helped several clients connect with each other for mutual benefit. That's the fun part for us!

Registering with council and the Food Safety Plan

Before you can use our facility you need to contact the Environmental Health Department of our local council, the City of Glen Eira, to determine what registration requirements apply for your particular situation.

We can help you with the registration process, and you will need to supply us with evidence of registration and your Food Safety Plan before you can start work in the kitchen. We have identified all the relevant food safety hazards for the premises, and have record sheets at every critical control point. Your nominated food safety supervisor is responsible for completing the record sheets during the time you use the kitchen, and in accordance with your Food Safety Plan.

Fees, bookings and payment

We charge an hourly fee which is customised for each client. The fee covers all equipment in the kitchen and includes utilities costs, some small appliances, cleaning products etc. There are no hidden or extra charges. Discounts apply for multiple advance bookings and for shared-use arrangements.

The minimum rental period is 4 hours. The dining room can be booked for shorter periods when used for non-cooking related activities. A security deposit is payable to confirm a booking, and full payment is required prior to occupying the kitchen. Payment options include bank transfer, cash and credit card. Cheques are accepted by prior arrangement only. Fees, charges, booking and cancellation terms are provided to you in writing when you meet with us and inspect the premises.

Operating hours and shared use

Our nominal operating hours are 8am to 6pm weekdays. All bookings are by appointment and include evenings and weekends.

The kitchen is setup such that two parties can share the cooking space. This is dependent however on a number of factors including what types of food each party is preparing and associated equipment and food safety requirements. If we can accommodate a sharing arrangement, this will be made available at a reduced hourly rate to both parties.

Cleaning and inspection

You are responsible for thoroughly cleaning the kitchen after use. We walk through a checklist with you before and after use. We agree on appliances to be used, their condition, plus operating and cleaning procedures. For a fee, and via prior arrangement, we can have the kitchen cleaned for you, but we prefer you do your own cleaning - it not only saves you money but engenders good working practices.

Storage and deliveries

Via prior arrangement we can accept deliveries from your suppliers directly to our kitchen, but items are received at your own risk. We can also offer short-term storage of dry, frozen/chilled ingredients plus limited short-tem storage of your finished products. Storage is subject to availability at the time, and fees may apply.

Public transport and parking

My Other kitchen is located directly opposite Bentleigh train station. There is free parking available on surrounding streets and in shopping areas, plus we have our own private parking at the rear of the kitchen which can accommodate up to 2 cars. A loading dock is installed at the rear of the building.

Insurance and liquor licensing

My Other Kitchen has public liability insurance, but you are responsible for insurance of your products, accident insurance for your clients and staff, and product liability.

We do not have a liquor license. If you need to consume liquor on premises (e.g. for a cooking class) you will need to review the liquor licensing rules with the Department of Justice Victoria plus local council.
Download charts
My Other Kitchen Overview
Download Guidelines for New Food Businesses Operating in Commercial Hire Kitchens
Webinar replay: what is kitchen incubator, starting a food business & case studies
Complete our no-obligation questionnaire to help us understand your needs
Just starting out in the food business? Take the free online food safety training from the Victorian Department of Health
Podcast interview with My Other Kitchen "How Restaurants & Chefs Can Develop Retail Food Products"
Kitchen Incubator
(03) 9557 0232